On June 17th, we will return to the Des Moines River and Pilot Mound for a day of celebration. The river continues to need our protection now more than ever. Please join with us as we celebrate, explore, and share stories on the Des Moines River!
First time or 1000th time on the river? All are welcome! This is a family-friendly event. There will be events available for non-paddlers, as well. Canoes and kayaks are available to rent ($10 suggested donation) or you may bring your own.
- 9:30-11 AM: Check in paddlers at Norton’s Ford Access along Des Moines River
- 10:30 AM: Press conference at Norton’s Ford Access
- 11 AM: Orientation and enter river
- 12 Noon: River Ceremony at E18 Bridge
- 1-2 PM: Exit and Shuttle at North Fraser Ramp
- 2-7 PM: Meet at Pilot Mound Community Center for food, music, and fellowship
Activities and organizational tables will be available at the Pilot Mound Community Center (112 S. Pilot St.) beginning at 11 AM and throughout the day.
The map below details where we’ll put-in at Norton’s Ford Access, where we’ll cross below the E18 bridge, and where we’ll exit at North Fraser Ramp. Those who joined us last year–this is the same route we did last year.
Don Williams County Park (10 min): http://www.co.boone.ia.us/
Spring Lake State Park (25 min): http://
This flotilla is made possible thanks to funding from LUSH and assistance from our Bakken Pipeline Resistance Coalition partner organizations. A special thanks to Iowa Sierra Club and Women, Food and Agriculture Network for their heavy-lifting to make this day possible!